Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Singing in the Rain


The day before yesterday, yesterday, and today it has been raining. Traveling to and from the "big city" (Elbasan) and back was messy and difficult and walking to and from town has been quite an adventure. The roads to and around my home have completely turned to mud. Not only is there tons of slippery and suction cup like mud everywhere, but there are huge holes that are filled with water. I don't know if I have mentioned it or if you already know, but Albania has a serious trash problem. There is trash everywhere, very very few landfills, and by taking out the trash people simple walk to the river and throw their bags of trash into the water. Great for the environment huh? In the small farming village I live in people have cows, horses, sheep, chickens, turkeys, and dogs in their front yards, backyards, roaming freely, and along the side of the roads. You add all the rain, trash, dirt roads, and all kinds of farm animals and I am sure you can imagine the smell of my walk home from school. No worries, I have a picture of my road I will be posting (once I can) so you can see a visual. This morning I was alone on the road and making the 30 min. trek to school. It was as the sun was rising, the rain was falling, and the mud suctioning my feel to the ground, I finally felt like I was experiencing what I thought the Peace Corps was going to be like. It was pleasant, nasty, and adventurous all at once. In a way a kinda enjoyed the experience.

No comments: